I’m sitting here on a Friday night watching the Real World and drinking wine so I decided to finally type up some of the recipe blog posts that I’ve been accumulating. I have attempted to salvage the horrible pictures I have but they still look horrible…nothing new there!
I made these burritos months ago and stored the leftovers in the freezer for quick meals later on. I’ve eaten all the ones from my freezer and feel like I should probably make more soon because they were really good! I would mash up some avocado and smear it on before each bite for a little extra something (and because I love avocado!) and I would say that’s probably the best way to serve them.
From Iowa Girl Eats
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 12oz frozen sweet corn, thawed
- salt and pepper
- 15oz can black beans, drained then rinsed
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 8oz freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-10” flour tortillas
- Bring 1-3/4 cup chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan then add quinoa, place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium then simmer until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender, 15 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat then add shallot and corn, season with salt and pepper, then saute until shallots are tender, 4 minutes.
- Add black beans, remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper then simmer until liquid is nearly absorbed, 4 minutes. Add tomatoes then simmer until tender, 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat then stir in cilantro and lime juice. Set aside to cool slightly (liquid will continue to thicken and be absorbed as the mixture cools.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat tortillas according to package instructions to make them pliable then add a scoop of quinoa to the lower third portion of the tortilla. Add a scoop of the black bean mixture on top followed by shredded cheese. Roll once then tuck in sides and continue rolling to form a burrito. Wrap in foil then bake for 10 minutes to warm through.
- To freeze: Place foil-wrapped burritos in a freezer bag then freeze. Thaw overnight in fridge then microwave for 1 minute to heat, or unwrap frozen burritos from foil then wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through.
These were super easy to make and freeze so well! If you love burritos and quinoa, try these!