I made these muffins with the intention of sharing them on here, and somehow, during the 4 day time period that it took me to eat these 12 muffins, I never paused to take a picture of them. So I’m left here with this horrible picture of them in the muffin pan that I took while I was waiting for them to cool a bit before I popped them out.
Anyways, this recipe called for mini chocolate chips, but I had chocolate chunks on hand so I used those instead. It was an excellent idea! I personally really like chunks of chocolate in pretty much anything, and with the texture of these muffins the chunks worked great!
This, like the banana bread I recently posted, was the result of too many overripe bananas. Dang heat! It’s a very similar recipe, also using oat flour that I made in my food processor. I’m really going to need to get a new food processor soon…mine sucks.
Like I mentioned earlier, I managed to eat all of these in just a few days time. They are yummy!
Plus they can be vegan if you use non dairy milk and gluten free if you use gluten free oats! Always a plus.
Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins
Recipe from The Real Life RD
- 2 1/4 cups of oat flour (just grind up some old fashion oats in your food processor)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3 extra ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Trader Joe’s chocolate chunks)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add your applesauce, vanilla and milk on top.
- Then mash your bananas and add them in.
- Now mix it up your ingredients until almost combined. Some clumps of flour will still be there and then fold in your chocolate chunks with about 10 stirs. Pour into greased muffins tins.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Now, try to aim for an area of the muffin that doesn’t have a chocolate chunk in it. It took me about 5 toothpicks before I was able to stab a muffin and not have it come out covered in chocolate.
Enjoy! These are really good with some peanut butter on top…