I made these energy bites a few weeks ago and although they were really tasty, I had a problem with them falling apart really easily. I had used puffed rice cereal and probably not enough honey and they ended up a crumbly mess.
I really liked the way they tasted, so I decided to make them again and use old fashioned oats this time….and enough honey.
These are a great portable snack and great for a little sweet fix in the afternoon!
Chocolate Chip Energy Bites
Recipe from Gimme Some Oven
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped pretzels
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- Stir all ingredients together in a large bowl until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. (This step is important — it makes the mixture easier to shape.)
- Remove and shape into small 1-inch balls, or press into the bottom of a parchment-lined baking pan to make granola bars.
- Enjoy immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
You could use different nuts or dried fruits if you have them or add some peanut butter chips in the mix to make them extra peanut buttery! Just make sure you use enough honey so they stick together….there is nothing worse than a crumbly mess that these turn into when they don’t stick together!