Buffalo sauce AND mac and cheese? There is no way I could say no to the recipe. No way at all.
I’ve been in such a comfort food mood lately anyways that when I saw this recipe on Prevention RD I knew I had to make it.
It was an excellent decision too!
Lightened Up Chicken Buffalo Mac and Cheese
Original recipe here
- 2 cups dry whole wheat elbow macaroni (about 7.25 oz)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ¾ cup Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
- pinch dry mustard
- 8 oz Cabot 50% less fat extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz part-skim (2%) Colby cheese, shredded
- ⅔ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lb cooked chicken, shredded
- ¼ cup panko
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the celery and bell pepper, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour and stir to coat; cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk and half and half and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, stir in wing sauce, dry mustard, and shredded cheeses. Mix until cheese melts; remove from heat and stir in the yogurt, mixing well. Mix in cooked pasta and shredded chicken.
- Transfer pasta to the baking dish and top with panko. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. Serve hot.