I absolutely love dishes that have a whole bunch of textures mixed together so when I saw this recipe I knew I needed to try it, it seemed right up my alley. I also conveniently had almost all of the ingredients already which was extra incentive to try it.
This makes a lot, so you the biggest skillet you have or use a wok. You want to make sure you have lots of room!
The quinoa is very filling and the leftovers were great for a quick dinner after they were warmed up.
Thai Quinoa Bowls
Original recipe here
FOR PEANUT SAUCE
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
FOR QUINOA BOWLS
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 large chicken breast, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan then add rinsed quinoa. Place a lid on top then lower heat and cook until quinoa has absorbed chicken broth, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork then set aside. (Can be done ahead of time.)
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl then microwave for 20 seconds. Stir until smooth then set aside. Whisk together egg and sesame oil in a small bowl then set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon peanut oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper then add to wok and stir fry until no longer pink. Remove to a plate then set aside.
- Heat remaining teaspoon peanut oil in wok then add broccoli slaw, frozen edamame, and green onions. Stir fry until tender, 2-3 minutes, then push to outsides of wok, creating a clear space in the center. Add egg whisked with sesame oil to center of wok then stir fry until soft scrambled.
- Add cooked chicken, quinoa and sauce to wok then toss to combine. Divide into bowls and serve.