I’ve got quite the collection of Asian condiments in my refrigerator, including red curry paste that I haven’t used in forever. In fact, I think the last time I used it was for these Red Curry Lentils that I made eons ago. And by eons ago I mean August.
I tried take out curry a few times after that and even tried to make my own once. It was really simple but for some reason it just didn’t stick as something I was going to make again. That is, until I saw this post from The Real Life RD about making veggie curry and I was reminded of how simple it really could be.
So I decided I would try it again but this time I would take her ideas and use frozen veggies! Things are so much easier when you don’t have to chop a million veggies before using them.
I made this over the weekend and although it still took about 30 minutes total, there was really minimal effort and it turned out delicious!
Chicken Red Curry
Inspiration found here
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 small chicken breast, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 heaping cup of frozen or fresh broccoli
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 can of lite coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons red curry paste
- green onions for garnish
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat ~1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add chicken breast and cook until just cooked through. Set aside.
- Add another tablespoon coconut oil to hot pan.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the rest of your vegetables and cook for 10 minutes or until they are tender.
- Add in the red curry paste and chicken and stir until the paste coats everything.
- Add in can of coconut milk.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, turn the heat to high to bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes until the sauce thickens a bit and everything is heated through.
- Serve over brown rice. Garnish with green onions and enjoy!
If you’re veggie you could omit the chicken and add some chickpeas or tofu in the place of chicken. You could also serve it over quinoa to add a little extra protein. Of course, you can add whatever kind of vegetables you want or use green or yellow curry paste instead. It really is a forgiving recipe, you can’t go wrong with whatever you put in it!
Now go make yourself some homemade curry!