Merry Christmas everyone! Christmas is almost over here and I’m relaxing on the couch watching Bridesmaids. Today started early, as it usually does, even though I’m 23 and my brother is 21. Since we’re up early and eager to get to opening presents we always plan a quick easy breakfast.
Of course, as the years have passed, Christmas morning has become more relaxed and there isn’t the same urgency to open presents as soon as humanly possible, but with an afternoon of cooking ahead the last thing we want to do is cook breakfast!
Quiche has always been our Christmas morning staple and it seems like every year that we’ve tried something different we end up wishing that we had quiche.
So yesterday afternoon, my mom made quiche.
That’s the great thing about it! You make it the day before, refrigerate it, and then microwave individual pieces the next morning.
You can’t go wrong with a simple breakfast!
- 1 store bought pie crust
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- 2/3 cup egg beaters
- pinch of salt
- 6 slices bacon
- handful of spinach
- 2 tbsp green onions
- 1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Precook pie crust following package directions.
- Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and cook until crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- When the pie crust is slightly cooled, put the bacon, spinach, onions, and cheese in the empty pie crust.
- Make the custard and then pour it over the filling.
- Cook in a 375 degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until the egg has set.
Cool slightly before eating or store overnight in the refrigerator for the next morning.
You can really put anything in quiche so go ahead and put whatever you want in it.
And if you haven’t tried quiche you should. It’s amazing and I’m obsessed with it.
On an unrelated note, I made the most delicious dessert today. I will share it soon!