Honestly, the thought of attempting to do a Topic of the Week post is the last thing I want to do today, so I’m not going to. Maybe later this weekend if I can think of something….otherwise right now I really am over the preschool and anything related to childhood nutrition.
I also realized as I was typing up the post last night how embarrassingly horrible my pictures are for recipes. So tonight I decided I would actually try to slow down and take some step by step pictures as I made my dinner.
Of course it was a plus that my dinner is worth sharing.
I got the idea for stuffed sweet potatoes last winter and just like a baked potato, they’re good with just about anything in them. I think these would be even better with a little bit of chicken thrown into the mixture…yum!
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 medium size sweet potato
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and pop in a washed sweet potato. Make sure you poke some wholes in it before! Depending on the size of the potato it’ll take about 30-40 minutes.
- After the potato is done, wrap it in foil to stay warm and set aside.
- Chop up onion and pepper (this can be done while the potato is cooking)
- Heat some olive oil in a skillet and throw the pepper and onion in. PS-I love this olive oil…
- Next, add the chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook the pepper and onion until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the black beans and cook until they are warmed through (they usually start to split at that point)
- Unwrap your potato, cut it open, and top with the skillet of yumminess
Like I said, pretty much anything could go into the potato, I happen to be a pretty big fan of this combo though.
I’ll be back at some point with a week recap.
I am SO ready to move on to my next rotation, it is unreal.